Jul 15, 2013

Thank you for all you do

About six months or so, I went to one of those CVS minute clinics because I had a cold.  I was waiting for my name to be called when a police officer showed up.  He signed in after me and when he was done, I said Hello.  He replied back and we started a small conversation.  Mia, my daughter, was with me and he asked her if she wanted a sticker.  She said yes and he gave her a police sticker.  While waiting, we kept talking and he told me that he disliked when children were afraid of him or other police.  He said some parents, when they see him, will tell their kids, "Behave or I'll tell that policeman to take you to jail," or some other obnoxious comment like that which in turn will make the child afraid of police.  He voiced his frustration on the topic and I must agree, I have heard people make those comments or seen how some kids are afraid of policemen.

I have so much gratitude for people who risk their lives for strangers.  Policemen, Firemen, people in the armed forces, nurses, doctors, teachers - these people go above and beyond the call of duty to help people and I hate that most time their work goes unnoticed or taken for granted.

Since that day, I have shown my children to always acknowledge a police officer with a simple, "Thank you for all you do."  I have told them over and over, that now it is just habit for them and I can't tell you how happy that makes me.  It is remarkable to see how a simple Thank You lights up a persons face.

Try it one day - if you never have.  The reaction is always priceless.  You feel good and you make the other person feel good.  I think it's important we teach our kids to be thankful and this is such a small way to make a BIG difference.


No comments:

Post a Comment