Aug 21, 2013

Gentlewoman, Angela Henriquez

A sister is a friend forever.  I was lucky enough to experience the past 29 years of my life with my sister by my side.  My sister and I have seen each other cry, seen each other happy, witnessed all of our life’s moments – there’s no question she has been one of the most important women in my life.  A few years ago my sister was in a very toxic relationship.  After several talks with her, there was no budging.  It would frustrate me and make me sad, but at the end of the day, she was going to make whatever decision she wanted.  I didn’t stop talking to her.  I didn’t ban her from my life.  I was just there for her even though I didn’t agree with her decision.
 


We lived together for a period of time where I saw her live the daily struggles of being a single mom.  I didn’t realize it at the time because I had no attachments to a relationship or children.  After I had Mia, I apologized to her for not being a better Aunt and Sister. I didn’t know better at the time.  Having kids is such a blessing, but the truth is it is so freakin’ hard.  I was blessed to have the help of my husband and even then adjusting to motherhood was a little cray cray.  I give major props to women who do it on their own. Fast forward a little later, my sister is now married and has two children.  Her daughter, Aliana, was born a little early and had to stay in the hospital for about six weeks.  That alone was a struggle not just for my family, but especially for my sister and her husband.  I have a whole blog entry dedicated to her story, but for now, I want you to get to know my sister a little better.  I think what makes her a Gentlewoman is her story – one that I know everyone can relate to: staying in a relationship for too damn long, losing yourself in that relationship and thinking that no one will ever want you and finding the strength to overcome all the negative and be reborn into a new woman who will never accept putting herself last ever again.  I remember telling her, with tears rolling down her face, “You will get married one day.  It just takes time.  I promise.”  And so it did, she got married to an amazing man, who not only accepted who for who she is, but also accepted her son as an added bonus.  My sister doesn’t have a blog, a fancy website or anything like that, but she did turn her negative situation into a positive when she raised over $1,000 for March for Babies, a charitable walking event benefiting research to prevent premature births, birth defects and infant mortality and I think all of that together makes her an amazing Gentlewoman.


Interview with Angela Henriquez

  

1. For those that don’t know you, can you tell me a little bit about yourself?

Haha this is funny introducing myself because you already know me but for everyone else…. Greetings! I’m Angela Henriquez but more commonly known as just Angie to all my family & friends. I’m 31 years old, happily married to a super hot Central American man named Erick. I’m also a tremendously proud mom of a handsome 8 year old son named Alex and a gorgeous 11 month old little doll named Aliana. I thoroughly enjoy good food, music, dancing, and comedy. Laughing is one of my favorite things to do and I’m like really, really good at
it. I enjoy great conversations and I love learning new things. Like most women, I take pleasure in shopping, make-up, chocolate, shoes and wine! I absolutely love attending Fellowship church and I’m a true believer in God and Jesus Christ.


2. You went through a severely toxic relationship a few years back that lasted a little too long. Why was it so hard for you to end that relationship?
I was so young when I started dating this person, I was only 21. Aside from my young age, to be honest the reason I stuck around for so long was simply due to the fact that this person was the father of my first born. I wanted so badly to create the perfect little family that I had always envisioned. I knew he was not good for me but I thought if I left the relationship, I was being selfish. Well that could not be farther from the truth. Not only was I unhappy but so was my son. Alex unfortunately was subject to an unhealthy environment for 4 years before I finally gained the balls to walk away. That was honestly my lowest point in my life. Walking away, starting over, and moving back in with my parents was all very humiliating, overwhelming and quite scary. For some reason I felt like I was a failure. Alex’s biological dad ended up voluntarily giving up his parental rights about a year ago. The last time he
saw Alex was the day that I moved out back in 2009.
 


3. I remember you once told me, “No one is going to want to marry me.” Why did you make that statement?
Girl why you bringing up old shit? LOL! Jokes aside, I just felt like I was not good enough for anyone. My self-esteem at the time was so unbelievably low. In my previous relationship so much cheating had occurred that I began believing that I wasn’t good enough. I actually thought something was wrong with ME. Was I not pretty enough? Skinny enough? The mind can be your own worst enemy if you allow it to be.
 


4. I knew you would get married, and you did. Can you tell my readers a little recap of your relationship with your husband?
Oh my Erick! We first met back in 2002. We briefly dated and then just went our separate ways. We reconnected in the summer of 2007 while I was on a“break” from Alex’s father. During this time my sister and I had our own apartment. I quickly fell head over heels for Erick. He was over my apartment everyday! We practically lived together. Well I guess my new found happiness didn’t settle well with Alex’s father. After some pretty awful threats on his behalf and poor decision making on mine, I let my love Erick go in an effort to reconcile and rebuild my relationship with Alex’s father. I will forever regret that decision. Fast forward to May of 2010. Erick and I reconnect through low and behold…. Facebook! After a few exchanged emails we decided to meet up for lunch. Our lunch date took place on May 30, 2010 and we were engaged by July 31, 2010. Erick brings out the best in me. He is such a kind, genuine soul. I truly believe that I have snagged a one-of-a-kind type of guy. He’s a
magnificent husband and father. We got married on 09/10/11 (I just love the uniqueness of our wedding date!) I couldn’t be any happier and I can’t imagine being with anyone else. He’s my best friend, my soul mate, my errthang! I guess the saying the 3rd time's the charm is true!
 


5. You recently had a baby girl who arrived to the world a little early. Can you let my readers know a little bit about that experience?
I found out I was pregnant on February 12, 2012. By May 3rd we found out we were expecting a little girl. We were so ecstatic! Throughout my pregnancy I found that this one was quite different from my pregnancy with Alex. My “morning” sickness lasted almost all day, every day for the first 5-6 months of my pregnancy. I noticed that I was gaining a lot of weight and I was swelling up really badly. I kid you not; my legs looked like tree trunks! One
day I wasn’t feeling good, my tummy was tightening up so much that I couldn’t sleep let alone get comfortable. I called my doctor and he immediately suggested I get admitted into the hospital. My urine showed high levels of protein and blood work performed showed high levels of liver enzymes. My blood pressure was really high as well. My doctor decided then to induce my labor. Basically the pregnancy was making me sick and the only way for me to get
better was to not be pregnant, thus making the decision to deliver baby girl early. I was 33 weeks along. I never realized the importance of a baby “baking” for the required 9 months. I simply thought “cool I get to meet her earlier”! I ended up having an emergency C-Section without the presence of my husband there. Apparently my organs were shutting down and Ali’s heart rate was steadily dropping at an alarming rate. Aliana Victoria Henriquez was born to only doctors and nurses in the room. I didn’t get to see her until the next day
and I didn’t get to hold her until about a week later. I missed out on so much because she ended up getting admitted into the NICU. Ali was born on September 4th and we were able to take her home on October 12th! Back in April of this year, I made it my mission to bring awareness by participating in the March for Babies walk. This is something that I hope to continue to partake in for many years to come. In my first year in March for Babies I was able to raise over $1,000!
 


6. What do you think women in our generation need to hear?
As stated before, we as women need to help one another. There’s too much gossiping, envy, and competing taking place. Let’s be classy, smart, goal-oriented, Godly women. Let’s not be these ditzy, materialistic, sex objects that we see every day. We need to strive to excel and surround ourselves with women who will challenge, inspire, and motivate us. We need women to be our cheerleaders when we are victorious and our support team when we are struggling.
 


7. Now that you have a daughter, how has that changed you?
I feel as though I need to be her role model. I realize that I need to learn to control my emotions and watch what I say about myself. I don’t want her to grow up with a ton of insecurities. I pray that God gives me knowledge and wisdom to raise my Ali into a Godly woman.
 


8. Who inspires you and why?
You, mom and the kids all inspire me in different ways. Mom because she is a strong woman! She always gives great advice, she is so wise. She has demonstrated that hard work, dedication, and faith all equal out to tremendous blessings. You have inspired me to try new things. You are the reason why I’m looking to strive higher in my career. You are the reason why I want to be an inspiration to others too. I’ve seen the changes you’ve made and I’m so happy for you. My kids of course are my inspiration because they give me purpose. I want them to be better than me when they grow up. They are the main reason why I chose to pursue an education and in time earn a degree. I want to have a better job to be able to provide more to both of them.
 


9. What are your dreams?
My dreams are to ultimately graduate and finally obtain my degree. I hope to one day be the top dog of a management company. I want to earn more money and have a bigger, nicer house. I want my children to grow up happy, healthy and successful. I dream of one day helping my husband start the business that he’s been dreaming of. I want to help others learn more about God and what he has to offer.
 


10. What is the best piece of advice that you have received?
Pray over everything! In the good and the bad just believe that God has it all worked out in your favor.







9 comments:

  1. Absolutely love this post! I can relate to Angie in many ways and have another person now to see as an inspiration. Thanks for sharing, ladies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awesome!!!! Yay!!! Thanks for reading Maggie.

      Delete
    2. Wow! Now I have to redo my eye makeup. Great story and awesome ending, I pray that she continues to be blessed in all aspects of her life. Your niece is a doll!

      Delete
    3. Aw thanks so much!!!! :) :) :)

      Delete
  2. I love the bond I've seen with you and your sister. You both are very luck to have each other! I know I could never live my life without my sister and thank God for her everyday. You are both truely blessed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww ...Angie! Thanks Vickie- round two of puffy, red eyes lol. After I met your mom I knew why you girls were so great and awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks Pearl. That's where I get it from. I'm hoping Mama Dolores will agree to do an interview for the blog. :)

      Delete
  4. Wow! This week has been just awesome on your blog! But when hasn't it! Never! Just a beautiful interview, Im with Pearl, watery eyes..lol. Did you ever get my twitter comment Vicks? You're blogs have been just beautiful all around :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, didn't mean to make ya'll cry. Sister has an inspirational story. Love her to death.

      Delete