Aug 26, 2013

Gentlewoman, Michelle Morton

In celebration of back to school, I wanted to feature a fellow friend who is a teacher. Her name is Michelle and she’s a teacher in Houston.  Michelle always seems to amaze me with each accomplishment that she achieves.  I’m always in awe and honestly quite inspired by her “get it done” attitude. There are people who live life the same way their parents and grandparents did.  Michelle didn’t do that.  She stepped outside the box and jumped over obstacles of life and made a commitment to not be like everyone else.  Michelle lives life!  I think she has lived her life greater than most people twice her age.  I love her passion for life – it’s quite beautiful. 
As a woman, I’m proud to see other women like Michelle who live life and are beautiful inside and out.  She doesn’t take twenty “selfies” in a bathroom with her butt sticking out; instead, she posts pictures of her graduating, her physical accomplishments (marathons, triathlons, etc.) and pictures with her family. I think women need to remember that our outer beauty doesn’t need to be shown through millions of self portraits in raunchy positions.  Michelle – you are definitely a Gentlewoman.  You show so much strength and so much passion for life.  I am so inspired by that.  Thank you for taking on one of life’s most challenging jobs.  As a parent, and on behalf of all my readers, I would like to say Thank you.  It is people like you that truly make a difference in our world.


Interview with Michelle Morton






1. For those people that don’t know you, can you tell me a little bit about yourself?
I’m 28 years old and I was born and raised in Dallas, Texas. I've been teaching in the Houston area in low income communities for a little over 5 years now. I have a Bachelor of Science degree in Interdisciplinary Studies from Texas A&M University and a Master of Education in Curriculum and Instruction Mathematics from the University of Texas at Arlington. I bake cakes from time to time, I love teaching, and I love to physically test myself. I have a 9 year old son that’s a miniature pinscher named Memorandum. That's me in a nutshell.

2. You have one of the hardest, but most underpaid jobs in the world. What made you decide you were going to be a teacher?
I have to say I didn't grow up wanting to be a teacher. I originally wanted to work in the medical field so I entered college as a pre-med major. As time went on, I realized I no longer wanted to be what I thought I should be. So, I changed my major and became undecided. As a member of my sorority, it was a requirement that we tutored and mentored students. Through this community service opportunity I grew to love teaching and realized I was really good at explaining things. I then decided to become an education major and I’ve never regretted that decision.

3. What has been the most unforgettable travel destination and why?
I would definitely have to say my trip to China this summer. The nature of the China trip overwhelmed me with emotions. I did not know what to expect or what God had in store for me. The trip turned out to be unbelievable. Being able to see the beauty of the many people, cultures, and landscape God has created; those experiences will live within me for eternity.


4. As a teacher, what do parents need to do to make their children more successful?
In order for a child to be more successful parents definitely have to be involved but not too involved. Make sure your child knows the importance of education. Discipline and respect are also keys to a child’s success. Teach your child other non-cognitive skills such as self-control, how to bounce back from setbacks, and social skills.

5. You have defeated the odds and you broke barriers of the statistic world. What motivated you to do everything that you have done and/or accomplished?
Growing up the way I did and watching my mom struggle to support us I knew I didn't want the same thing for me and my family. I didn't want to be just another statistic. I never bought into the idea that just because of circumstances that were out of my control, my future had already been predetermined. To quote Robert Frost’s, The Road Not Taken, “Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference.”


6. What do you think women in our generation need to hear?
Wow! Is it ok if I create a list? LOL. 
• You can’t love someone else until you love and accepted yourself. (No matter how cliché that sounds, it’s the truth.) 
• Take care of your mental and spiritual needs before you worry about your physical needs.

• You are perfect just the way you are. (Because God made you.)
• Never drink to feel better; only drink to feel even better. 
• Figure out what you want and learn how to ask for it.

7. Who inspires you and why?
That’s easy. Jesus. He was the only perfect person to ever walk this earth. He died because he loved. He was slow to anger and he always forgave. I know I’m not perfect but knowing the way he lived his life here on earth pushes me to grow, evolve, and become better every single day. I may never be perfect but I can always shoot for perfection.


8. What are you most proud of?
I don’t think that at this point in my life there’s anything that really sticks out to me. Sure, I have accomplishments. I’ve ran marathons. I’ve earned degrees. But, I’ve always known I was capable of doing all of those things and so much more. I’m still young and there are many other things I want to accomplish like advancing in my career and having/supporting a family of my own. I’m content knowing that I’m laying the foundation right now. I’m just happy that I can stand on my own two feet and live a life worth living.


9. What is the best piece of advice you have ever received?
When you’re wrong, admit it. When you’re right, be quiet. Figure out what you love to do, then figure out how to get someone to pay you to do it.

10. What are your dreams?
As a professional, I dream of advancing my career.
As a teacher, I dream of a better education system as well as students/parents realizing the importance of education.
As a single woman, I dream of my family and future family.
As a future mother, I dream of nurturing and loving my children.
As a future wife, I dream of supporting, loving, and growing with my husband.
As I student, I always dream of learning.
As Michelle, I dream of races, triathlons, and continuously evolving into a better version of me every single day.


For all the things I've done though, I have to thank my family and friends for continuously supporting my every adventure. My family is always there to celebrate every accomplishment and pick me up when I fall. I have an awesome support system that never let's me settle and always pushes me. Last but not least I have to thank God. When my feet are failing he's always there to give me strength and guide me. When I'm stressing about work he takes my worries away. I really do all things through Him.

Watch Michelle's teaching skills here.




3 comments:

  1. I know this may sound strange but when I met Michelle, I always knew she was destined for great things. It was something about her that was different and she was just plain polite, always :-)
    I hope all her dreams come true and from reading this.....they will.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gosh this one was awesome!! so insprational. I want to meet Michelle and hug her. I'm totally send this to Ashley who wants to be a Teacher to get inspired as I am. Thanks again Vickie for your wonderful posts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you loved it. Michelle is an awesome lady.

      Delete