Aug 7, 2013

Live like no one else, so you can live like no one else.


I had to read Dave Ramsey’s book, “Total Money Makeover” to actually grasp the concept of that quote.  This book that had been sitting on a shelf for two plus years was collecting dust.  Surprisingly, I had not gotten rid of it.  My parents had purchased it for me a few years ago and my dad pretty much begged me to read it, but I was so uninterested.  My dad looked up to Dave Ramsey, after all, he was the genius behind the story of my parents money makeover. I knew my dad had paid his house off early, paid off over $50 grand in debt, paid off his cars and saved money like crazy, but I never really realized how much work that meant and how accomplished he was for doing that in a span of 5 years.  My dad always emphasized the importance of saving, not living over your means and not living to “Keep up with the Jones”.  I didn’t always listen and so I didn’t always have the money saved when emergencies emerged.  Slowly as I got older and obtained a family of my own, I was finally able to see the true importance of my dad’s words.  Not too recently, my dad’s actions hit me like a ton of bricks.  My dad always got stuck with the older car and my mom always got the new car.  It was nothing he ever complained about.  He had wanted a new truck for the longest.  I always knew he could afford it, but he said no, I’m going  keep looking.  And so, recently, my dad purchased a new Toyota Tunda – CASH!  Who does that?  Seriously – I was so impressed that I had to ask my mom are you sure Dad paid it in cash?  So there I was left with my mouth wide open, flabbergasted.  My dad’s only secret to this accomplishment was what he heard on the radio years ago.  He told me Dave Ramsey gave him the knowledge to complete the tasks. One of the things I’ll never forget my dad saying was that Dave Ramsey said, “If you have to mow lawns to get out of debt, then mow lawns.” The funny thing is my dad did just that.  He started mowing lawns on the weekend for more money.  Out of that he eventually started his own business.  Several clients later, he is not only working two jobs, but he loves it.  The man is literally a workaholic, but his motto is work now, so he doesn’t have to worry about working later. 

My dad was born October 21, 1956 in San Luis Potosi Mexico.  His parents had separated, all the kids had to work at a young age and his mother was very poor.  My dad said they couldn’t’ even afford clothing so all he wore was like a  cloth around their waist that looked like a skirt.  I believe my dad was 16 when he first came to the United States.  He was deported back and came to Texas when he was 20 and then met my mother who helped him learn English.  My dad told me a funny story about the first time he went to buy clothes.  He said he went and bought a shirt and pants and didn’t even look at the size because he didn’t even know about sizes, so when he got home the clothes fit him big.  He started working at a restaurant washing dishes, later became a cook for T.G.I. Fridays, then worked cleaning apartments and was promoted to a Maintenance Supervisor.  My dad wasn’t able to finish very much schooling, didn’t graduate, but the man is a genius.  He has a strong work ethic and the commitment to get ahead.  What he provided for me and my sister is beyond what I can imagine and I wish I would have recognized it at a younger age. 


My gift to my dad was FINALLY reading the book he gave me and beginning my Total Money Makeover. In just a few months, my husband and I have paid off about $3,000 in debt – a total of four accounts.  Home Depot, School Loans, Furniture Account, Best Buy, Lawyer and all you other little annoying bills, you will all soon be GONE!  It’s a ripple effect.  You pay off your smallest bill and work yourself up to the biggest one.  By our calculations, if we pay off all debt we will have an extra $600 month.  And in reality, we don’t have too much debt, in fact we have “baby” debt compared to some of the testimonies in the Total Money Makeover.  Most people had 50, 75, 100 or more in debt.  It hasn’t been totally easy, but seeing the result of paying off accounts is addicting.  It is so encouraging to knock out the next one. Our goal is to pay off our cars, never buy brand new again – you’ll see why when you read the book, pay off our house, pay off all debt and always pay in cash.  I’m looking at money differently and realizing that some of the things I use to purchase were just a waste of my hard worked money.  So my family and I may not take lavish vacations, or purchase luxury cars, or live in the most posh neighborhood, but we will one day.  We are living like no one else, so we can eventually live like no one else. And it hasn’t been easy saying no to trips or saying no to a brand new Tory Burch purse, but when you work hard, eventually you’ll get to play hard.  Make money, don’t let the money make you.  And to finish off, I must repeat my dad’s words: If you can’t pay for it in cash, then you can't afford it. 

Dave Ramsey Website 

Dave Ramsey

2 comments:

  1. YoBit lets you to claim FREE CRYPTO-COINS from over 100 unique crypto-currencies, you complete a captcha once and claim as much as coins you want from the available offers.

    After you make about 20-30 claims, you complete the captcha and resume claiming.

    You can press claim as many times as 30 times per one captcha.

    The coins will stored in your account, and you can exchange them to Bitcoins or USD.

    ReplyDelete