Apr 15, 2013

Motivational Monday - Appearances Don't Define Us


Today's motivation comes from someone else's struggle. I remember when I heard about this story.  It was so sad, but what truly touched my heart was when I read that Lauren was coming out with a book, “Still Lolo”.  I remember being intrigued, but what really made me want to go purchase this book asap was this quote, “'I am seeing that this life is way bigger than me and I think that a lot of things that I held important earlier, even in my career were quite shallow and I just want to use what I have been through to talk to young girls and let them know that our appearance is not what defines us, even just insecurities that we may hold onto do not define us.  That quote just hit me and I immediately felt horrible.  I’m gonna be honest.  There are times, many times in fact where I just dislike something physical about myself.  It’s been a constant love hate relationship.  Sometimes I’m good, sometimes I’m not.  Or at least that’s how I use to be.

It is so hard to feel comfortable in your own skin when every time you look around you see someone with the perfect body, the perfect face and the perfect hair.  Those insecurities I held on to vanished after I read Lauren’s book.  Wait, I won’t say they completely vanished, but what I will say is that I don’t beat myself up anymore.  I believe more than ever, I am comfortable in my own skin.  This book, along with Joel Osteen’s “I AM” message made me realize that God created us as we are, down to every mole on our body.  I think it is so remarkable that Lauren got through this bump in her life with honor to God.  She was honest about having anger, but it’s so touching to see how she still kept God first and realized this wasn’t a punishment but a way to use herself to help others.

If you get the chance, read her book.  If not, just watch this video.  I am hoping it will motivate you not to pick out your flaws.  Instead focus on what you love about yourself and run with it. 

Happy Monday!




No comments:

Post a Comment